Monday, February 14, 2005

Blogging for Popcorn

Stone Mountain (the North Carolina one) was great. Mom, dogs and I all had a great time Saturday. I took a bunch of pictures and eventually I'll do something with them.

The weather was at least as rotten as the forecast yesterday and today, and I feel good about NOT HAVING GONE on my extended backpacking trip. I'm going tomorrow. Really.

Not much to report. Valentine's Day and my love's so far away. Still, I do feel warm and fuzzy about the whole thing.

I might as well just admit it: I've watched more movies in the past couple of weeks than I think I watched all last year. Well, a lot of movies anyway. I'll try to list them in no particular order.

- Traffic
- Strangers On a Train
- The Fog of War
- 21 Grams
- Knife in the Water
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- Leaving Las Vegas
- A Boy and His Dog
- Better Off Dead
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- Do the Right Thing
- The Guys
- The Fortune Cookie
- A League of Their Own
- Sayonara
- Mr. and Mrs. Iyer
- High Noon
- American Beauty
- Grosse Pointe Blank
- A Shot in the Dark
- Real Genius

I'm sure I missed a few, but you get the point--a LOT of movies.

I'd seen several of them before, and I was at least as surprised by my reactions to some of the ones I'd seen as I was by my reactions to the ones I saw for the first time. In particular, I was surprised how little I enjoyed A Shot in the Dark, when I'd remembered it as hilarious, possibly as the funniest movie I'd ever seen. 21 Grams and The Guys both surprised me positively, both with their emotional power. I was further surprised to learn that The Guys was made in 2002, too close in time to its subject, I'd have thought, to make such an eloquent and appropriate movie.

And Ian, having finally seen Real Genius, I agree with you that it's a great film. Just think how different my life might have been had I seen it when everyone else did. Okay, not very different. Never Mind. But why didn't I see it then? Probably I had it confused with Weird Science.

Maybe it's appropriate that I also learned how to make real popcorn a few days ago, REAL popcorn, you know, the kind that tastes like butter--because it's actually slathered in actual butter?

Popcorn! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch Unforgiven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home