Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Astute readers will note

If you're paying attention, you know that I should be freezing my butt off somewhere in the NC mountains right now. Instead, my butt is parked in front of a computer.

That's right, I still haven't gone.

Damned weather forecasts! Today was supposed to have brought rain (it didn't).

See, rain in winter is Very Bad. It can kill you, as in dead. It's much worse than snow for creating hypothermia. This is why I HATE North Carolina winter weather. Even in our highest mountains, it's been warm enough this winter that most storms have produced rain. After the storms, it cools down, say to about 10° F, and it gets windy. Result: instant hypothermia--just add hiker. Alternate scenario: it snows, but then it warms up dramatically. Then it cools down again. Result: ICE.

Joy, oh joy. Why can't it just get cold and snowy and then stay that way until, say, May or so? This seems to work fine for New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. They get one mud season, we get about ten. Ah, I shouldn't bitch. At least I don't live in Florida.

I'm going tomorrow. Damnit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home