Monday, April 04, 2005

The Numbers Game

I feel inspired by this thought from my friend xtcian's blog:
By age 5, I'd already categorized all the single-digit numbers in terms of personality, and used them all day to satisfy some bizarre trains of thought. In my head:
1 = alone
2 = love
3 = erased the last bad thing
4 = luck
5 = bad luck
6 = bad luck for others
7 = good luck for others
8 = saving grace meant for rare usage
9 = erased the last whole cadre of things
I, too, have always associated personalities with numbers:
  • 1 = Perfection and/or solitary strength and/or new beginning
  • 2 = Duplicity and/or togetherness
  • 3 = Strength and/or masculinity
  • 4 = Femininity and/or weakness
  • 5 = Grace and/or gracefulness
  • 6 = Human weakness
  • 7 = Perfection (divine and/or earthly)
  • 8 = Excess
  • 9 = Ending, termination, annihilation (sort of the 'Shiva' of numbers)
I never gave this a moment's thought until I'd
  1. Smoked a lot of pot
  2. Dropped a lot of acid
  3. Read Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth
...all circa 1991.

I'd be very interested to know your "personal numerology." Mine is based (loosely) on various things I've read over the years--and on my own experience. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Sya said...

It's interesting that 4=luck (four-leaved clovers and such, I would suppose). In Chinese superstition, 4 is a bad luck number because in Chinese it's a homonym for "death".

05 April, 2005 13:08  
Blogger This Blogger said...

So that's why! The Japanese also consider 4 unlucky, and I always wondered why...

Interesting how these things come about. Numerologically, 13, the Western unlucky number, also reduces to 4 (1 + 3). Slightly spooky coincidence, no?

05 April, 2005 22:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home